Compassionate Dorset is a voluntary community animal welfare group promoting compassionate living - particularly for the benefit of farm animals - through local fundraising events and global creative projects. Our main aim is to help end factory farming by empowering consumers to make a difference for animals, people and our planet - simply through our food shopping choices.
We encourage people to eat free-range and organic to support higher welfare, sustainable food and farming, help people to understand what our food labels really mean, and promote a greater reliance on meat-free and vegan diets to help reduce the UK’s unsustainable demand for cheap, low welfare meat and dairy.
Our group was founded in November 2009 and we are also the Dorset supporter group for the leading farm animal welfare charity Compassion in World Farming which was founded in 1967 by a concerned dairy farmer on a mission to improve the lives of farm animals. Like Compassion, we believe factory farming is the biggest cause of animal cruelty (and environmental destruction) in the UK and worldwide.
Their sentiment sums it up very simply: THEIR LIVES, YOUR CHOICE.
We also founded the Compassionate Tee-Shop and The Compassion Collective where we have created some of our own range of animal themed t-shirts and fine art prints by local and UK artists with a percentage of profits in aid of Compassionate Dorset and donated to Compassion in World Farming and other animal welfare charities*.
*PLEASE NOTE: We are NOT a registered charity and are only affiliated to other charities as local supporters.
Compassion in World Farming is NOT accountable for the content of this website, or the actions of our group. Our support for any other charity or cause is NOT an indication that Compassion in World Farming also support such a charity or cause.
Compassionate Dorset is run completely by volunteers and is based in Dorchester, Dorset. We are always looking for more volunteers to help us plan events or just to lend a hand manning stalls or at our street collections and we would love volunteers to help us spread compassion throughout the whole of Dorset (especially
around Dorchester / Bridport, Sherborne / Shaftesbury, and Poole / Bournemouth).
Compassionate Dorset featured in Compassion in World Farming's Farm Animal Voice Magazine (UK)
Our events and activities include:
- Stalls at local events such as county shows, festivals, arts & craft fairs and eco fairs around Dorset including the infamous Tolpuddle Festival and the Dorset County Show. Please also let us know if you can donate any produce or crafts for us to sell at events (or through our online contemporary design shops as part of the Compassion Collective).
- Special Film Nights of movies including; Pig Business, The Moo Man and Cowspiracy.
- Bake With Compassion - our vegan cake sales usually make around £100- £200 for Compassion in World Farming!
- Street Collections are a simple way to raise lots of money for Compassion in World Farming!
- Talks & Workshops - please let us know if you can help us organise a talk or workshop. In October 2012 our vegan co-founder Sandra Hood and fellow Dietitian Sarah Smith ran a Nutritional Cooking for Health & Vitality Workshop which raised over £144, and in October 2011 Heidi Stephenson's How to Write a Novel Creative Writing Workshop raised over £300 for Compassion in World Farming!
- Picnics - in July 2010 we held our own 'Big Lunch' picnic in Dorchester Borough Gardens which raised over £300 for Compassion in World Farming and we would love people to organise their own Big Lunch or mini 'Cow Fest' for us.
- Sponsored Events - In October 2013 Paul Fairman ran the first ever Bournemouth Marathon and raised £268 for Compassion in World Farming, and our co-founder Sandra Hood ran the legendary London Marathon in 2011 and raised nearly £1,400! Paul is also taking part in the London Triathlon on June 1st 2014 - please sponsor him at: https://www.justgiving.com/Paul-Fairman1
We are also hoping to have a Walk With Compassion so please let us know if you want to help make it happen.
- We are hoping more volunteers will consider simply setting up more impromptu info stalls in their local town for petitions.
- Volunteers can set-up library displays or information tables at work or supermarkets like the Co-op.
- Handing out flyers in town or at other events you may be attending like festivals is a simple way to help raise awareness.
- We also get together for shared meat-free meals (which usually include Sandra's legendary vegan chocolate cake!) so please let us know if you would like to host a meeting or social event for our group.
To become a Dorset volunteer please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Because we are such an active group of volunteers and most of the money we raise is specifically in the name of Compassion in World Farming and other animal welfare charities, we also need our own Compassionate Dorset group funds to help us continue to run and publicise local events, fund creative projects, to print our own literature and buy materials and product stock.
You can therefore support Compassionate Dorset by donating to become a Member.**
Members and volunteers are welcome to attend Compassionate Dorset group meetings and events.
All members will receive a regular eNewsletter and exclusive special offers by email.
**PLEASE NOTE: This is for membership to the voluntary community group Compassionate Dorset only. We are NOT a registered charity and are only affiliated to other charities as local supporters. Compassion in World Farming or any other charity, society or group are therefore NOT accountable for the content of this website, or the actions of our group.
can now also enjoy 25% off all our art prints and cards online at our Etsy Shop.
PLEASE NOTE: Once you have paid for membership online THROUGH PAYPAL YOU MUST CLICK THE BUTTON SAYING 'Return to Compassionate Dorset' to be redirected to a THANK YOU PAGE where you can copy the discount 'Voucher Code' to use straight away. (We will also email you your code but this is done manually so will not be instantly available).
PAY OR DONATE SECURELY ONLINE THROUGH PAYPAL:***
Please select a membership option below to pay securely online through Paypal:***
ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP £5.00 per year****
****PLEASE NOTE: Automatic yearly renewal will be set-up through Paypal by direct debit which can be cancelled at any time.
Click here for Paypal Terms and Conditions
OR LIFETIME MEMBERSHIP £25.00
OR SEND A DONATION:***
***If you do NOT have a Paypal account you can still use the 'Join Now' and 'Send a Donation' buttons above.
Paypal will charge us a fee for online transactions (3.4% + 20p per transaction).
If you DO have a Paypal account, to make sure all your money gets donated, Paypal allows you to send money to non-profit groups and charities as a 'gift' - simply use the 'SEND MONEY' option here by manually entering the correct amount and sending to email@example.com and select the option to say 'I'm sending money to family or friends' - this way no-one gets charged unless you use a credit card or are outside the UK. Please just make sure you send us an email to explain the money is for membership or a donation.
If you prefer to pay or donate by cheque or UK postal order please email us.
Please Note: Refunds are not available for membership or donations.